You’ve written, launched, and have gotten your book printed, now you’re wondering what in the world to do next right? How are you going to get your book in front of your ideal reader? Well, now is the time to be talking about your book to any and everyone who will listen, because if you don’t tell people about it, they simply won’t know it exists. And contrary to popular belief, just because your book is available on Amazon does not mean anyone will see it.
A big part of being an author also means becoming a marketing expert. Hiring a marketing agency is one option, but for many authors – especially first-timers – it’s not a budget-friendly one. The key is to get you and your book in front of as many people as possible to grow a community of readers who are attracted to your message.
1. Schedule a national book tour. Now, this requires a lot of footwork and research to be successful. Target independent bookstores as well as the big box in areas where your ideal readers are located. The stores will be interested in how your book will bring people in so be sure to include a synopsis of your book in your pitch. Also, create a social media plan that aligns with their current campaigns, and use their platforms to attract readers. Keep in mind: Scheduling tours in big cities is best done well in advance due to the high demand.
2. Schedule television and radio interviews. When you plan your book tour, reach out to local television and radio stations to land interviews; decide which segment(s) you’re best suited for, and do your research on specific programs, hosts, and producers. Make yourself stand out from the rest of the pitches by including any relevant fun facts or ties to that local area. And don’t think any show is too big for you to land.
3. Arrange blog tours and podcast tours. Over the last few years, blogs or podcasts have become a popular platform for authors to share their messages as part of their promotional efforts. Podcasts and blogs have national, and even international reach and will expand your reach exponentially. A blog tour is simple - you are being featured with a written interview that is published on a blog, and they usually include contact links to your website. Podcasts are similar to traditional radio talk shows and can be found on platforms such as iTunes, Pandora, and Spotify.
4. Create social media events around your book launch. This is where a lot of authors tend to fall short. You already have a following so don’t forget about inviting them to watch parties or live events. If you have a Facebook group create events in your group as well! Tell your group all about your new book; go live and share an excerpt or chapter to build interest; create custom hashtags and ask your audience to share about your book and live events; have an online panel discussion via streaming software with other authors or colleagues to discuss your book’s topic. Being consistent and present on social media BEFORE your book launches is important and will help build your momentum. People want to know more about you and your story before they think about buying your book, so don’t hide.
5. Embrace new social media platforms and/or advertising avenues. There are new social media platforms popping up all the time. Creating a following on as many of them as possible will greatly increase your chances of gaining new fans but only if your target audience uses those platforms. Conducting some market research before learning another platform is important so you can see where your audience spends their time and what their pain points are. Take advantage of the marketing features offered, Facebook, for example, offers paid ads and Sponsored Posts. Knowing the difference and how best to use them to target your audience will increase your reach and get more eyes on you and your book.
You have put in the work to create an awesome book and now it’s time to share it with the world. There is someone out there waiting for your message to impact their life, but you won’t reach them if they don’t know you are there. Planning any kind of tour is worthwhile when you think about how many people you’ll attract to your brand.
Join The FREE Books 2 Business and Beyond Facebook Group!
Follow us on Facebook here
Get updates right in your inbox! Subscribe Today!
Interested in learning more or ready to write a book? Schedule a FREE 30 min consultation at www.victoriousyoupress.com/book-online
About Angela Mitchell
Angela Mitchell is a writer with Victorious You Press, she is also a mental health advocate, author, blogger, speaker, master life coach, and the founder and CEO of Back to Her. She assists women entrepreneurs with removing mindset barriers through personal and professional development programs that empower them to change the narrative of self-doubt so they can dominate like the boss Women on Purpose they are. She helps them become the highest most truthful expression of themselves in order to achieve the success they desire.